This Page

has been moved to new address

How to make a Vintage Teddy Bear Cookie

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sweets by Suz: How to make a Vintage Teddy Bear Cookie

Saturday, March 31, 2012

How to make a Vintage Teddy Bear Cookie

These Teddy Bears were for a "Vintage Toy" themed birthday party. I have a few bear cookie cutters, but they just weren't right. A vintage bear is thin and lanky. I didn't want the traditional chubby bear found in most baby sets. So, I think I should re-name my blog "and I didn't have the cookie cutter" - In this case I made a rough cookie shape and I like the way it turned out, kind of jagged and rustic looking behind the bear.
All dressed and ready to go to the baby shower. Please excuse the photo quality - you can tell this one was taken late late at night. I don't photoshop anything, I just want to give it to you as is. If the photos are getting dark, you'll know I'm up late decorating!


Here's what you will need
1) Sugar cookies baked in a rough outline of the bear (I trace the image onto the back of a paper plate before cutting the dough.)
2) Tan colored royal icing, keep some thick for outlining and thin some for flooding. I mixed a little bit of brown with the icing... For a good royal icing recipe look here.
3) Accent colored thick icing for the bear's bows. I used red (deep pink + tulip red + super red all americolor) and blue (royal blue + black americolor)
4) Piping consistency black icing for the facial details.
5) Not too much time for decorating :) This one is pretty easy.
Outline cookies using an edible ink marker. It is best if the color of the marker blends with the icing color. I used the KopyKake 300xk for this step because this was such a big order. The bear itself would be fairly simple do do with out the projector - lots of simple circle and oval shapes. Now outline the bear with the piping consistency tan icing. I used a Wilton size 2 tip.
Flood in alternating sections. I really wanted the bears appendages to look separate. Allow one section to dry for about 20 minutes before filling in the next area.

At this point I was exhausted and stopped taking pictures. When the face has set (about 30 minutes later) add a small circle for the bear's face and flood that circle. This adds depth to the bears face. I also added detail to the ears and the bow. Pretty easy!
These bears were a favorite of last week's work.
Here are the other cookies for the baby shower. I will post the other tutorials soon.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At March 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM , Blogger SimplySweetsbyHoneybee{Melissa} said...

I loved the pic on FB but I love the tutorial more. These are so cute! I did not see one crater. I would have gotten them with this type of design. I have a heat gun but I'm not big on using it. Sometimes I get them & sometimes I don't.

Anywhoo, back to your design. It's simple & beautiful. I would love to see classic Pooh.

 
At March 31, 2012 at 9:16 PM , Blogger Suz said...

Ohh... classic Pooh would be cute!! It was a no crater icing day. i never know why it happens and when it will. my flood icing was pretty thin - 5-6 second. I really wish I knew how to predict whether or not it's going to be a crater day. I tried to do baby quilts few weeks ago but there was a crater in ever single cookie.

so i ate them. all of them.

 
At April 17, 2012 at 4:45 AM , Anonymous Tabby said...

Oh, those are soooo cuuuute! I'm sure they taste good too! Those are perfect for afternoon snacks for the kinds matched with hot choco or milk.

 
At April 17, 2012 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Suz said...

Thanks for looking!! I was happy with how they turned out!

 
At May 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM , Anonymous teddy bears said...

Your bears are awesome! I'd totally like those for my son.

 
At May 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM , Blogger Suz said...

I'm glad you like them, I take cookie orders at spaylor@msn.com if you ever need any. Thanks so much for looking

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home