This Page

has been moved to new address

I am no longer an illegal… Baker!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sweets by Suz: I am no longer an illegal… Baker!

Friday, February 10, 2012

I am no longer an illegal… Baker!

My official Certificate, next to the kids' artwork

I am officially registered as a Food Service Worker with Maricopa County’s Department of Environmental Health. Also pinned on my refrigerator is my official certificate, as a registered member of the Home Baked and Confectionery Goods Program with the Office of Environmental Health within Arizona Department of Health Services. What does this mean? I can legally sell potentially-nonhazardous baked goods prepared in my kitchen.

In July of 2011 the state of Arizona passed a Cottage Food Law allowing baked goods prepared at home to be sold on an individual basis, in stores, or at Farmer’s markets.

To learn more about this program click here.

As the push has been to “go local” this program allows individuals to find what they need close to home without all the additives and preservatives used in a commercial setting.

And even if I decide not to sell my precious baked goods the study material was helpful just for keeping my own kitchen safe... or I’m ready to jump into a job at McDonalds. Ha ha.

6 Comments:

At February 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Cathy said...

Congratulations! Now I know I won't die if I eat one of your cookies. At least die suddenly. I may die a slow death of overeating and binging on cookies!

 
At February 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Suz said...

Haha, don't worry, I'm only certified to make "potentially non hazardous foods." Cookies, pies, cakes, breads. My family will have to pay!!

 
At February 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Sweating in the endless heat said...

Suz, thanks for posting that information! I didn't realize that we should have a certificate. I have been selling a variety of breads and granola to my kids teachers, and on occasion cinnamon rolls when someone calls. Congratulations on this accomplishment. BTW, I just love your cookies (well I haven't tasted them yet, but they sure are pretty) Quick question... am I assuming right that you are selling them. If so, I am doing a baby shower for my neighbor and I think your cookies would be a huge hit. Let me know!
Wendy

 
At February 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Suz said...

Wendy - I would love to make cookies for your neighbor's shower just let me know what you want/need and when, you can email me directly at spaylor@msn.com - thanks for the compliment, I have been having so much fun with this hobby that I've decided to sell some just to break even on my growing collection of decorating supplies. :)
I was suprised at how easy it was to take the test and register. Let me know if you need more info :) I have thought about selling bagels/baguettes in the past but I had no idea it was actually allowed. I do have more fun with desserts than bread.

 
At February 15, 2012 at 5:47 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

Hey Suzanne! We are now officially following each other =) Congrats on your certification! I went through the process last year with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, and it was INTENSE! They picked apart several samples of my cookies in a lab to make sure there was no "foreign matter," and my kitchen inspection took 4 hours. But I think it's super important to go through the right channels to become legal bakers. Congrats!

 
At February 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Suz said...

I haven't gone that far yet. We can sell in AZ with the food handler's card. If I want to sell more I think I should do that next! FUn stuff!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home